Welcome to Columbia College Chicago’s Catalog
The catalog is your path to find information on admission policies and procedures, graduation requirements, academic regulations, as well as detailed descriptions of academic majors, minors, and course offerings.
About Columbia College Chicago
Columbia College Chicago is a private, nonprofit college offering a distinctive curriculum that blends creative and media arts, liberal arts, and business for nearly 7,500 students in more than 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Dedicated to academic excellence and long-term career success, Columbia College Chicago creates a dynamic, challenging and collaborative space for students who see the world through a creative lens.
Columbia College Chicago is an undergraduate and graduate institution whose principal commitment is to provide a comprehensive educational opportunity in the arts, communications, and public information within a context of enlightened liberal education. Columbia’s intent is to educate students who will communicate creatively and shape the public’s perceptions of issues and events, and who will author the culture of their times. Columbia is an urban institution whose students reflect the economic, racial, cultural, and educational diversity of contemporary America. Columbia conducts education in close relationship to a vital urban reality and serves an important civic purpose by active engagement in the life and culture of the City of Chicago.
Columbia’s purpose is:
- to educate students for creative occupations in diverse fields of the arts and media and to encourage awareness of their aesthetic relationship and the opportunity of professional choice among them;
- to extend educational opportunity by admitting unreservedly, at the undergraduate level, a student population with creative ability in or inclination to the subjects of Columbia’s interest;
- to provide a college climate that offers students an opportunity to try themselves out, to explore, and to discover what they can and want to do;
- to give educational emphasis to the work of a subject by providing a practical setting, professional facilities, and the example and guide of inventive faculty members who work professionally in the subjects they teach;
- to teach students to do expertly the work they like, to master the crafts of their intended occupations, and to discover alternative opportunities to employ their talents in settings other than customary marketplaces;
- to help students find out who they are, discover their own voices, respect their own individuality, and improve their self-esteem and self-confidence;
- to offer specialized graduate programs that combine a strong conceptual emphasis with practical professional education, preparing students with mature interests to be both competent artists and successful professionals.
Columbia College Chicago is accredited at the graduate and undergraduate levels by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Columbia is accredited as a teacher training institution by the Illinois State Board of Education.
For more information about Columbia’s accreditation, please contact:
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
Columbia College Chicago is an independent and unaffiliated institution of higher education.
Student Outcomes Assessment
Because teaching is a central focus of the college, and because the college is constantly striving to improve teaching, Columbia College Chicago has a Students Outcomes Assessment program in the major departments and the Liberal Arts and Science Core courses. This program affords insight into the success of the curricula and teaching practices. To achieve this goal of improving teaching and learning across college programs, student work may be used not to determine how well the student is performing in a given class or program but rather to determine how well the department is delivering the class or course of study. Information from this assessment is used to improve teaching and revise curricula. For more information click here.
Columbia College Chicago
600 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605 (map)
Main Switchboard: 312-663-1600
Request Information from the Admissions Office
Columbia College Chicago complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations concerning civil rights. Columbia College Chicago does not discriminate in its admissions, employment, housing, services, or in the education courses or programs that it operates based on age, gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other protected class.