The Bachelor of Arts in Theatre will provide students with a comprehensive overview of the theory and practice of contemporary Western theatre and an introduction to global performance traditions.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an applicable approach to acting.
- Articulate, in verbal and written form, a basic but applicable knowledge of theatre design.
- Articulate, in verbal and written form, an understanding of theatre history and the analysis of play texts.
- Articulate a comprehensive understanding of the creation, planning, mounting, and promotion of a theatrical production.
- Demonstrate an applied understanding of how to market themselves (and, in essence, their theatrical skills and/or knowledge) for graduate schools or the professional marketplace.
This degree program is particularly designed for students wishing to pursue careers in teaching, dramaturgy, and theatre management and administration. It provides a solid knowledge and experience base for students planning on continuing their education in a graduate program.
Students will study theatrical processes from a variety of perspectives in order to gain an understanding of, and experience in, the work of the various disciplines involved in mounting theatrical productions. To that end, students will take courses in developing performance skills, theoretical and historical study, the art and craft of design and technical theatre, and the conceptual and organizational skills involved in directing for the theater. At every opportunity, students are encouraged to put into practice what they are learning in the classroom through hands-on engagement in the preparation and presentation of performances produced in the department. In the classroom, students work with a faculty of working professionals who bring their experience to the art, craft, and business of the theater. This pragmatic approach prepares students to face the challenging realities of making a life in the performing arts. Students graduate with knowledge of how to look for work, with the desire and ability to do the work, and with an understanding of the need to grow as an artist beyond graduation.
Program Requirements | 4 Year Planning Tool | Transfer Planning Tool