The BA in Live and Performing Arts Management aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills to pursue careers in the live entertainment industry. Students will have the opportunity to learn how to manage and lead live and performing arts organizations with an emphasis on entrepreneurial thinking and leadership.
Students majoring in Live and Performing Arts Management study booking, presenting, producing, touring and promoting live entertainment for non-profit and for-profit organizations.
Elective courses in the Business and Entrepreneurship department give students hands-on management experiences through student-run business that include a talent agency and live entertainment venue.
The full-time and adjunct faculty of more than 100 renowned academics and creative professionals integrate current industry practices into the classroom. With over 700 business and entrepreneurship students and a global network of alumni, the program has a major influence in the field of arts, entertainment, and media management worldwide.
Successful Live and Performing Arts Management graduates should be able to:
- Explain the fundamentals of managing creative organizations and professionals in the business of live and performing arts.
- Apply critical thinking, problem solving, and communication skills to the entrepreneurial management of live and performing arts.
- Analyze trends, opportunities, and challenges of the process of bringing a live event from idea conception to night-of show, to compete successfully in a rapidly changing global environment of business plans, finance and budgets, and contracts.
- Make executive decisions regarding such elements of live events as location selection, design, management, artist/attraction selection and engagement, budgeting, contracts and other legal issues, and marketing and promotion.
- Scrutinize executed live events for success. Particularly where artistic, business, ethical and safety standards are concerned, and apply that scrutiny to future decisions in order to improve future activities.
A grade of C or better is required in all major coursework.
For students who have earned a Bachelors degree previously, Columbia offers a Second Bachelor of Arts in Live and Performing Arts Management.
Program Requirements | 4 Year Planning Tool | Transfer Planning Tool