The Bachelor of Arts in Communication offers a comprehensive curriculum through a creative lens that includes courses in communication, multimedia production, storytelling, civic practice and community engagement. The degree strives to prepare students to work and thrive in a convergent media environment. Students are provided the opportunity to gain the professional, creative and analytic skills to lead a broad range of industrial, artistic and civic endeavors. Our graduates are empowered communicators and skilled cross-platform media practitioners, and contribute to the intellectual, cultural and creative fabric of their communities.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- understand the development, current state and emerging trends of media and their audience;
- create communication across a variety of media forms, appropriate to audience, purpose, content and context;
- demonstrate an ability to accomplish goals with a critical awareness of communication practices;
- contribute to the public discourse and build reciprocal relationships with communities in a meaningful and productive manner through ethical communication principles and practices; and
- create effective communications based on individual identities, cultural world views, and historical frameworks that influence media absorption and message interpretation.