Columbia is one of the first schools in the country to offer a Social Media and Digital Strategy major; the undergraduate program aims to prepare students to work in this exciting new field across industries. Content creators, social media managers, digital strategy experts, and others are needed for nonprofits, companies, artists, start-ups, and more. This program draws from established programs in Advertising, Business and Entrepreneurship, Interactive Arts and Media, Journalism, and Public Relations. This field is rich with internship opportunities, helping students graduate career-ready with ample real-world experience.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- produce, create, and distribute social media and digital content that is strategically sound and consumer-relevant;
- identify and interpret research, data and trends;
- measure and analyze audience engagement, business models and performance metrics;
- execute digital strategies and social media that build awareness for causes and brands, create social change and/or generate revenue streams; and
- adhere to legal and ethical standards when employing social media whether for business, media government, nonprofits or causes.