The BA in Music Business is designed to equip students to pursue careers in the evolving music industry. Students learn the fundamental management concepts of the recorded music business, copyright, music publishing, artist management, along with live, touring, and music marketing. The program’s industry-focus aims to prepare music business majors to be the next generation of innovative music industry executives. The Music Business program offers students hands-on management experiences through student-run businesses that include a record label, a talent agency, a music publishing company, and an online distribution platform.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- understand essential business practices and principles as they relate to the mechanics of the music industry;
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills to the entrepreneurial development of management, marketing and publishing strategies focused on consumer engagement and revenue generation;
- evaluate trends, opportunities, and challenges within the music industry to anticipate future developments;
- manage creative projects, resources and relationships to be competitive within the rapidly changing landscape of the global music industry; and
- assess how the business practices of the music industry can be responsive to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.