The Strategic Communication MA leverages Columbia’s distinctive position as a strategically creative-driven school with a proven approach to hands-on communication problem-solving rooted in current industry best practices. It also takes advantage of Columbia College’s dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion by emphasizing management, collaboration, and communication informed by diverse voices and perspectives. Its user-friendly format (hybrid, full-time for three semesters or part-time for five semesters), Columbia College’s location in the third-largest US media market, and existing faculty who are well-connected with leading agencies and communication firms make this program especially well-positioned.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- Create, plan, and implement impactful communication strategies and strategic frameworks that are insights-based, audience relevant, competitively unique, creative, metrics-based, and innovative.
- Design, conduct, and analyze research initiatives using both secondary and innovative primary research tools, KPIs (key performance indicators), and other performance metrics.
- Lead and successfully participate in a diverse team, involving collaboration and connection with different perspectives, backgrounds, cultural values and lifestyles, skill sets, working styles, and expectations.
- Manage and support the content creation process by leveraging best practices in project management, team communication, production tools, and methodologies.
- Adapt an inclusive framework to strategic planning, leadership, implementation, research, and content management to ensure an equitable process with diverse perspectives and contributions.