Learning advertising theory in college is good; creating campaigns for real businesses and clients is better. As a Columbia student, you’ll do both. And you’ll create these strategic creative solutions working with your advertising student partners (copywriters, art directors, strategists, media specialists, account/brand managers, production experts, etc.). This marriage of theory and practical application will prepare you for a successful career in advertising before you graduate. And it will distinguish you from other graduates.
Learn alongside faculty members who have worked with Apple, Nike, Calvin Klein, Samsung, McDonald’s, Motorola, Kraft, Amazon and more. Working closely with industry-leading professors and your peers, you’ll learn what it takes to succeed in the ad world, from writing creative copy and analyzing consumer behavior data to mastering the art of a perfectly timed Tweet or Snapchat story. You’ll graduate with a professional portfolio of work to help you land a job as an account manager, copywriter, art director, brand manager, content strategist, content creator, media planner, project manager, or general advertising pro.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- evaluate the effectiveness of creative solutions for key target audiences by using current and emerging communication platforms;
- correctly articulate the key concepts, strategies, tactics, and processes commonly used across marketing communication disciplines;
- produce advertising solutions that are relevant, competitively distinct, effective and culturally responsive;
- constructively collaborate within teams that reflect diversity and inclusion to produce an effective advertising solution;
- evaluate the social, ethical, and legal implications of proposed advertising strategic and tactical decisions; and
- demonstrate the skills required for obtaining a professional, entry-level position within advertising through the preparation and presentation of professional-quality work.