Students majoring in Public Relations learn to shape the messages that influence public opinion, attitudes and behaviors. Students experience a real-world curriculum, developing portfolio-ready work in the classroom. Throughout their studies, Columbia will endeavor to provide PR majors with multiple opportunities to secure top internships, network with industry thought leaders, utilize cutting edge media tools and platforms, enter industry competitions, develop leadership skills, and participate in our award-winning chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). The Public Relations BA aims to equip students with the skills and knowledge necessary for career success in the agency, corporate, government, and non-profit sectors.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- create professional-quality written, verbal and multi-media public relations-oriented content;
- articulate the functions and operations of traditional media outlets, influencer- and expert-generated media, entertainment media, branded and social media channels as well as their interactions with each other;
- effectively collaborate with a diverse range of team members, outside public, and clients, as well as other stakeholders who reflect diversity and inclusion;
- articulate the ethical and cultural implications of proposed public relations recommendations, as well as the issues that arise in the media’s shaping of public opinion; and
- demonstrate the ability to manage the development of public relations-oriented solutions, based on research and analytics.