The Bachelor of Arts in Documentary is an undergraduate program that facilitates a deep exploration into the diverse and innovative ways we collectively craft truth in story, image and sound. This program crosses disciplines resulting in a field of study that draws students interested in a comprehensive education in all forms of nonfiction media.
The Documentary BA Program creates new opportunities for complex collaborative skills, expanding students’ connections to the storytelling, technological, business, and marketing skills of documentary practice. The program facilitates creative collaboration between Columbia College students, faculty, alumni, and industry professionals in all facets of documentary processes, practices, and studies.
Undergraduates who successfully complete the program will have a wide knowledge of documentary ethics, theory and practice, and will be able to Implement impact and outreach in the social justice and civic engagement space.
At the capstone level, students will complete their portfolio of non-fiction work spanning media formats in a program which allows them to enter an already converged world.
As a result of successfully completing program requirements, students should be able to:
- apply the technical and creative skills learned in the program to produce a portfolio of creative work (individual and collaborative) across a variety of documentary and non fiction storytelling media forms;
- analyze and interpret the aesthetic, historical, and conventional aspects of various nonfiction media forms, traditional and emerging;
- effectively interpret and employ legal and ethical best practices and apply these to documentary media creations;
- create comprehensive proposals for individual and interdisciplinary documentary projects, including research, planning, budgeting, interviewing, fund-raising, grant writing, audience engagement and distribution plan;
- develop individual voice and display in a variety of written, visual and audible forms; and
- create documentary content and tools that address social issues and further a civic agenda, individually and / or in collaboration community organizations.