The mission of the Fashion Studies Department at Columbia College Chicago is to provide a comprehensive, integrated education designed to support a wide range of career opportunities in fashion. The curriculum helps students develop a broad range of practical, aesthetic, and intellectual skills, devised to anticipate and incorporate the ongoing changes synonymous with the dynamic nature of the international fashion industry. Our faculty is comprised of industry professionals, designers, and scholars who are active practitioners in their field of expertise and share their wealth of real-world experiences in the classroom. In Fashion Studies the students work in collaboration with the faculty to co-author their course of study and actualize their career aspirations.
The BA in Fashion Business comprises a 42 credit hour course of study in the major, leaving ample room for students to pursue interdisciplinary course options, a minor, or a double major. The curriculum is rooted in a business foundation, which is complimented by a full range of fashion courses. Each course builds on skills and concepts that culminate in a capstone experience in Decision Making.
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the fashion business principles, terms, and research methods utilized by industry professionals;
- analyze product quality, pricing, promotion, target markets, trends, opportunities, and challenges and evaluate their impact in the field;
- articulate the cultural, ethical, and economic significance of fashion production and consumption in a global marketplace;
- work collaboratively in creative teams that develop leadership skills and foster an understanding of entrepreneurship strategies; and
- apply critical thinking, organization, marketing, communication, and decision-making skills.
Fashion is a complex field of study and ultimately reflects the aesthetic taste, social status, political mood, economic condition, and technical achievements of society through the personal expression of dress. This curriculum gives students the opportunity to explore creativity and practicality. It is the foundation for a successful career in the fashion industry. The BA program enables students to excel in this ever-evolving profession. Students participate in a true fashion experience throughout their education with exposure to recognized guest designers, industry leaders, and accomplished alumni, and through fashion competitions, presentations, and exhibitions.
A grade of “C” or better is required in all major coursework.
For students who have already earned a Bachelors degree, a Second Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Business is available.
Learn about the Department
Transfer Students: View a Transfer Planning Tool for this Major