The BA program is for students who see dance as their major area of study within a broader based undergraduate education. The credit requirements for the BA are less numerous than those for the BFA, allowing students to explore other subjects through elective courses or minors. The dance major provides substantial proficiency in contemporary dance idioms as well as solid foundations of related information, skills and experiences.
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Arts from The Dance Center of Columbia College Chicago will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency as contemporary dancers with practical experience across several dance forms
- Design choreographic and improvisational processes as creative modes of investigation
- Read dances as texts and situate them within their specific socio-political and historical contexts
- Apply their knowledge of functional body mechanics to the design and presentation of concept-based dance curriculum for a variety of populations
- Connect their knowledge of dance with discourses in other fields of study
Standards of Performance
The Dance Department expects exemplary effort and accomplishment from our BA candidates. Failure to meet one or more of the following expectations will result in review of the advisability of a candidate’s continuation within the program. BA candidates in dance must:
- Pass all required courses with grades of C or better.
- Advance through technical requirements in a timely manner.
- Exhibit engagement and presence in their artistic and scholarly practices and conduct themselves in a manner beneficial to their own and others’ education.
Transfer Students Seeking a BA in Dance
Transfer students seeking the BA degree must earn a minimum of 45 credits at Columbia and at least 15 of those must be toward major requirements. Any prior dance courses at a previous institution will be evaluated for equivalency with Columbia College’s Dance Department requirements.
For students who have earned a Bachelor’s degree previously, a Second Bachelor of Arts in Dance is available.
Program Requirements | 4 Year Planning Tool | Transfer Planning Tool